- How should a pair of skates fit?
- Skates should not feel loose on your feet. If they are too loose, your feet will slide around inside which will create blisters. Skates that are too loose will also be harder to control. Wearing thick socks will help if you are between sizes. When buying skates for children, it is okay to buy skates one size larger for growth but no bigger. For adults, skates should be snug without pinching as they will stretch out with use.
- Why should I buy my own skates.
- It is a known fact that skaters who use their own skates have more fun. When you have a pair of skates that are adjusted to only you and fit well it becomes much easier to skate. The skates will be the same each time you put them on. We have known skaters whose skating ability improved dramatically once they had their own skates. Plus, you will save money in the long run because you are no longer paying for skate rental.
- What do I look for when purchasing skates?
- Look for skates with rubber wheels. They grip well on our surface. Plastic wheels are best for outdoor use.
Spin the wheels—the wheel should roll freely
- What types of skates do we sell?
- Speed skates (lower cut boot), artistic skates (higher cut boot), and children’s skates. We have several skate types in stock along with a catalog with additional styles.
- How long does it take for skates to be shipped?
- Typically 3 to 5 business days. During Christmas holiday season, we recommend at least 2 weeks. Orders are placed on Monday
- What accessories do we carry?
- What types of boots are there?
- There are a few different types of boots.
Leather outside with leather lining
Top quality boot and has the maximum amount of durability and lasts longer than other boots. This will be the best kind of boot in most situations. Once the leather breaks in and forms to your foot, this is the most comfortable type of boot.
Leather outside with cambrelle lining
This style of boot wears very well and the inside absorbs sweat better than other types of material.
Vinyl outside with leather lining
This boot has a soft inside against your foot, but the vinyl outside doesn’t wear as well as leather boot.
Vinyl outside with unlined inside
This type of skate has less ankle support than others and it’s a lower price economy boot for beginners.
Suede outside with leather lining
It is used primarily outside and is a very soft and comfortable boot.
Manmade material outside with padded inside
This is a very comfortable boot as well as a very durable and affordable boot.
- What is the difference between double action and single action?
- A double action plate has two cushions and the kingpin is at a 10 degree angle.A single action plate has one cushion and the kingpin is set at a 45 degree angle.
This is made only in metal plates and is much heavier than the newer nylon plates. They are only used for quad speed skating.
- What’s better? Quad or Inline?
- They’re both great! It’s all up to you. Neither one is “better”. Some people find it easier to balance on quad skates. Other people think they can go faster on inline skates. Other people have a pair for both for different days and moods!
- What’s the difference between indoor and outdoor skates?
- The only real difference is the wheels. The outdoor skates have softer wheels. The softer wheels outdoors will help you grip better as well as go over the cracks in the sidewalk and small pebbles. Generally, an outdoor wheel would be considered anything under 90A (the lower the number the softer the wheel).
- What size should I get?
- For low top speed skates, they are all in men sizes. Men, will get a normal shoe size. Ladies, we recommend that you down one size from their shoe size. So, a lady who wears a size 8 would get a mens size 7.For high tip art skates, the white skates are in ladies sizes and the black skates are in mens sizes. Again, ladies, if you want the black high top skate go down one size.
For inline speed skates, they are in mens sizes.
- How many wheels do I get?
- For quad wheels, unless otherwise noted, each comes as a set of 8 wheels.
For inline wheels, they are sold by the wheel.
- Does wheel size affect speed?
Generally, the larger the wheel is, the more roll you will get for the least amount of effort. So you will be able to cover more surface area with the larger wheel with less effort and you will go faster and have a smoother ride.The average quad speed skate wheel comes in 62mm.
- What does ABEC mean?
- ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineering Council and it is a rating of how “good” bearings are. Basically the higher the number after ABEC-, the better the bearing is supposed to be. The scale goes ABEC-1, ABEC-3,ABEC-5, ABEC-7, ABEC-9. Bones Bearings (Swiss, Ceramic) are “Skate Rated” and are basically better than most of the bearings rated on the ABEC scale.
- What does 7mm and 8mm mean?
- Those refer to the inner diameter of the bearing and the size of the axle it’s going on. Most skates use 8mm (or large) axles so you will need standard 608 size 8mm bearings to go on them. Some of the older model and higher end skates use 7mm (or small) axles and you will need 627 size 7mm.
- What does the hardness number mean?
- The hardness (or durometer) of a wheel is measured on a scale of a number and then an A. For example: 96A That’s the standard hardness for a quad speed skate wheel. The higher the number, the harder the wheel…the lower the number, the softer the wheel. For outdoor use, you will want a wheel that is below 90A. For indoor use you will want a wheel from 90A up to 103A.
- How many bearings do I need?
- You will need 2 bearings per wheel.For quad skates, you will need 16 bearings total. For inline skates with 4 wheels on each skate, you will need 16 bearings total. For inline skates with 5 wheels on each skate, you will need 20 bearings total.
- Should I get a high top or low top boot?
- It’s up to you! Neither one is “better” than the other. High top boots generally offer more ankle support, so if you have weak ankles that may be right for you. Low top boots are more popular and allow you to move your ankle more freely, and it will also not be as hot on your foot. The low top boots are generally considered speed boots.
- Is a metal plate better than nylon?
- No, it is not better. A nylon plate has a double action, is lighter, and allows the skater to have much better control and maneuverability. Metal plates are generally heavier and there is not much advantage to them over a nylon plate.